Friday, March 3, 2023

Jesus Revolution: The Movie, Not the Revival

 

Beloved and I went to see the movie, Jesus Revolution, because it is set at the beginning of the Jesus Movement in Southern California. My teen years in Northeastern Indiana were greatly influenced by the music birthed in that place at that time.

And the truth is, the whole world was influenced by these hippies, high school and college students, and yes, even some white-haired tie-wearers who dove into the truth that Jesus loved them.

The movie seems to be based on Greg Laurie's memoir and focuses on his conversion and romantic love story, rather than attempting to be a dramatic documentary of the Jesus Freaks.

I tried really hard to not be disappointed by that. It was a valid choice to tell the story through Greg's eyes. But I never really felt all that connected to him as a character.

That's not to say I didn't like the movie. I did! I mean, it has the character being played by the actor who is Jesus in The Chosen, jokingly saying that people say he looks like Jesus. That was a pretty funny in-joke. And then he clearly and heartwarmingly lays out the gospel and extends a call to all who are anxious or feel outcast or are looking for peace and love.

Well done.

It was, as far as I could tell, historically accurate and honest. Nobody came off as a too-good-to-be-true perfect example of faith, including Greg Laurie. That's an accomplishment for a "Christian movie"!

The timing of this movie's release and the Asbury Revival and the division in our country is interesting to me. It would neither bother me nor surprise me if something far bigger than box office receipts happened soon and very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts