Monday, May 24, 2021

Books I Read in 2021, Vol. VII

 

SON OF A JUNKMAN: My Life from the West Bottoms of Kansas City to the Bright Lights of Hollywood
Ed Asner (with Samuel Warren Joseph and Matthew Seymour)

"This is a life worth examining and is done so magnificently in this terrific read. Ed, you've got spunk and we LOVE spunk." (Jason Alexander, Seinfeld) "For one of the few Jews in the Kansas City Bottoms the road to the heights of show business success and fame was a tough, rocky, perilous, sometimes unforgiving one, but for this Son of a Junkman the willingness to learn, the courage to be true to himself, the 'spunk' pulled him through." (Mike Farrell, M*A*S*H)

Didn't go looking for this book, but it called to me from the library shelf. I must have been tuned in to its vibe because Beloved and I are currently watching the final season of mary tyler moore. All in all, a standard kind of show business autobiography, but I will admit to being mightily impressed with Mr. Asner's candor in admitting why his marriage failed: "I have always been universally regarded as a flirt. I was during my youth. I was while preparing to be an actor. And, I was when I achieved celebrity status. Unfortunately, I was a flirt when I was married. Actually, I was more than that. I was a cheat. It isn't easy to admit and it certainly isn't easy to write, but it's the truth. When I was married to Nancy, I cheated on her. I cheated on a woman who adored me. I cheated on a woman I adored. I cheated on the mother of my children. I failed her."

First line: As the title of this book suggests, I am the son of a junkman.

Page 56/Sentence 5: I envied her.

Last line: More importantly, I will always be the son of a junkman.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts