Friday, September 24, 2021

Free Guy: An Entirely Enjoyable Return to the Movies

 

On the strength of ActorBoy's recommendation, and paid for by a very old gift card from AngelFace, I went to see Free Guy, starring Ryan Renolds, today.

The reason it was a very old gift card is, of course, because COVID-19 hit soon after I got it for Christmas in 2019. And let me tell you, just walking into the theater lobby and smelling that popcorn was a little emotional. It very well could have been two full years since I had been to a movie theater; I don't really know.

"But what about the movie, Dewey?"


Oh...well...let me just say that I never expected to enjoy a sci-fi/romantic comedy/action movie this much.

Yeah.

It hit all the right beats and nailed every joke and I wish I had a copy of the script so I could lay some of the quotable quotes on you...including the obligatory rousing "come on, guys, we can do this if we all work together" speech that leads to the film's climactic battle.

[I originally wrote "...leads to the film's climax," but I changed it because there's ANOTHER climax involving the romantic comedy aspect of the movie that I will not say anything more about so as not to spoil it for anyone...because I'm thinking y'all should go see Free Guy for yourselves.]

Fair warning...there are just enough four-letter words used to give it its PG-13 rating. And as always, they could have done without them and no one would have noticed. But I don't know...it may have gotten a PG-13 anyway for the amount of video-game-style violence.

On top of the humor and action, the movie also has some decent things to say about life-as-we-know it and how people can make a difference if they try. That's another reason why I like it so much.

There IS one quote that I'm pretty sure I'll be using in real life: "Don't have a good day. Have a great day."


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts