Saturday, March 19, 2022

Books I Read in 2022, Vol. IV

 

THE HOLE IN OUR GOSPEL: What Does God Expect of Us? The Answer that Changed my Life and Might Just Change the World
Richard Stearns (President, World Vision U. S.

Is our faith just about going to church, studying the Bible, and avoiding the most serious sins  -  or does God expect more? Have we embraced the whole gospel or a gospel with a hole in it?

[This book] is the compelling true story of a corporate CEO who set aside worldly success for something far more significant, and discovered the full power of the gospel of Jesus Christ to change his own life. He uses his journey to demonstrate how the gospel  -  the whole gospel  - was always meant to be a world-changing social revolution, a revolution that begins with us.

I am WAY late to the party in terms of coming to terms with this book (published in 2009). And the thing is, I'm not sure what I'm going to do as a result of reading it. I was certainly shocked and moved by the way Stearns brought the reality of poverty and its effect on the planet into crystal clear focus. But I admit to being guilty of feeling so small in the face of such a huge problem.

The encouragement that hit home toward the end of the book is that God has equipped each person to contribute to the cure in his or her own way. What do I do best, and how can that be useful to the poor, the starving, and the subjugated? Lead on, O King Eternal.

First line: His name was Richard, the same as mine.

Page 56 / Line 5: This sounds a lot like what I described earlier as the "whole gospel," the good news inherent in a kingdom based on the character of God rather than of men.

Last line: We have work to do, and it's urgent. Join Me...


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts