Thursday, June 2, 2022

Books I Read in 2022, Vol. IX

 

THE RETURN OF THE PRODIGAL SON
Henri J. M. Nouwen

In seizing the inspiration that came to him through Rembrandt's depiction of the powerful Gospel story "The Return of the Prodigal Son," Henri Nouwen probes several movements of the parable: the younger son's return, the elder son's vengefulness, and the father's compassion. In his reflection on Rembrandt in light of his own life's journey, Nouwen evokes a powerful drama of the parable in a rich, captivating way that is sure to reverberate in the hearts of seekers from all walks of life. The themes of homecoming, affirmation, and reconciliation will be newly discovered by all who have known loneliness, dejection, jealousy, or anger.

I'm pretty sure I've read one other work by Nouwen, though I can't remember what, but he has a great reputation and when I saw this book while browsing the library shelves it almost jumped into my hands. A testimony to its effect on my thought process is the fact that not one, but two Truth Is... posts have been born from it. Give this one a chance to seep into you a bit and it just might make the world a better place.

First line: A seemingly insignificant encounter with a poster presenting a detail of Rembrandt's Return of the Prodigal Son set in motion a long spiritual adventure that brought me to a new understanding of my vocation and offered me new strength to live it.

Page 56/ Line 5: And so he says to himself: "How many of my father's hired men have all the food they want and more, and here am I dying of hunger!"

Final line: As I look at my own aging hands, I know that they have been given to me to stretch out toward all who suffer, to rest upon the shoulders of all who come, and to offer the blessing that emerges from the immensity of God's love.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts