Tuesday, June 28, 2022

What Abortion Is Not

 

The current hateful yelling...on both sides of the abortion issue...grieves me. I'm pretty sure no minds have been changed or hearts moved as a result of chanting slogans or screaming insults. I am convinced that very few convictions have been modified from reading a "discussion" thread on Twitter or Facebook.

And yet, here I am, wanting to make a particular point that seems to be getting missed.

It concerns me that folks seem to be labeling the argument against abortion as a religious stance...that the main reason to be against abortion is "because God says so."

Let me be perfectly clear.

Abortion is not a religious issue.

Really...it's not.


We need to set aside all the stereotypes of Bible-thumpers and Planned Parenthood money-makers and calmly consider the basics of whether the pre-born entity is human. That's the only question that needs to be answered because if it's human, then killing it is murder. If it's not human, then treat it like a malignant tumor, I suppose.

Now, I clearly have a researched answer to that question. And if you want to read more about all that, let me direct you to my inspirational blog, Truth Is..., and its several posts about abortion. (Click those links.)

But THIS particular post is about this one particular point: Don't brush off the life-and-death issue of abortion as being a matter of religious opinion. The things that matter in the discussion are scientific facts.

That being said, we must avoid living up to the stereotype of caring only about the pre-born entity. The fathers and mothers and children must be treated with compassion, empathy, and respect, or all our "pro-life" rhetoric rings untrue.

For the record, that's why I so appreciate the work done by Amnion Pregnancy Center, which cares for EVERYONE affected by an unplanned or unwanted pregnancy.

No yelling. No Bible-thumping. No slogan chanting. (Hmm...that would look good on a banner being marched down a sidewalk. Just kidding!)


2 comments:

  1. Thank You Dewey! I love this.
    "But THIS particular post is about this one particular point: Don't brush off the life-and-death issue of abortion as being a matter of religious opinion. The things that matter in the discussion are scientific facts."

    ReplyDelete

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts