Monday, August 8, 2022

Lightyear: Why All the Fuss?

 

Thanks to Daughter Buckeye's subscription to Disney+, Beloved and I watched the latest Disney/Pixar movie, Lightyear, last weekend. [Disclaimer: everything I write from here on reflects my views and opinions and shines no light on what Beloved thought or thinks.]


First of all, the concept of making the movie that inspired Andy's love of the Buzz Lightyear action figure in the Toy Story franchise is brilliant.

Second of all, the execution of that concept was less than brilliant. Don't get me wrong, the movie looked amazing and had a few elements of grin-worthy humor and wow-inducing action, but the whole plot about (spoiler alert?) Buzz Lightyear learning that he can't always accomplish tasks by himself and needs to accept help from others is so cliche as to be trite and not emotionally engaging in the least.

Third of all, you may recall a relatively short-lived outcry against the film because of a reported kiss between two females. Well, let me say this about that:

       1.  Yes, two female characters got married, but if they ever kissed, I never saw it. (There was a sort of montage of scenes that showed the passage of time. MAYBE the alleged kiss happened then but was so quick that I missed it?)

       2.  And so what? Which is more damaging, a cartoon depiction of a daily reality or another round of ammunition in the fight to paint Christians as hateful bigots?

Seriously, I am so weary of bandwagons and left-bashing and name-calling...all done in the name of Jesus.

Whatever happened to "and they'll know we are Christians by our love"?


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts