Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Pinocchio: Tom Hanks in a Wig Surrounded by Pixels

 

Yes, Beloved and I have watched the new part-live-action/mostly-animated movie, Pinocchio, on Disney+.

Yes, it was beautiful to see.

No, it wasn't worth the time we spent.


I find myself in complete agreement with the New York Times September 8 review by Amy Nicholson: "Under [Director] Zemeckis’s attentive eye, Pinocchio’s yellow cap appears made of felt and his white gloves, affectionately hand-knit. When the marionette spirals his head like a pinewood Linda Blair, his joints make a satisfying creak. But boy oh real boy, is the script by Zemeckis and Chris Weitz a lifeless chunk of wood."

Don't get me wrong, I usually am of the opinion that Tom Hanks can do no wrong, but he comes across as just as much of a cartoon as in the 1940 original.

One Bright Spot: The Disney-themed cuckoo clocks in Geppetto's workshop are clever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts