Friday, July 14, 2023

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (The Title's Not the Only Thing that Just Won't Quit)

 

There's a small part of me that doesn't want to like any Tom Cruise movie. I mean, his insistence on having his way and the whole I-train-four-hours-a-day-to-do-my-stunts and that stupid center front tooth...

And yet, it all comes together to create a breathtaking joyride of thrills and laughs and tension.

Pretty much in that order, too.

THRILL to the excitement of vehicle chases so involving you'll forget to breathe, fights so intense you'll be bruised, and daring near-disasters so heart-stopping you'll need to check yourself for a pulse.

LAUGH as Ethan Hunt's sidekicks express exasperation, Ethan and the obligatory female try to outrun EVERYBODY ("Is there anyone who ISN'T chasing us?") in a tiny yellow Fiat, and the literal cliffhangers get increasingly impossible to believe.

TENSION...uh...tension isn't a verb, but the director does a pretty good job of making the stakes high and the anticipation of failure riveting.



Oh yeah, there's an actual plot, too, about how a powerful artificial intelligence program has pulled an Ethan Hunt and gone rogue, becoming self-aware, self-protective, and all-knowing. That part is kind of like TV's Person of Interest on steroids. Very strong steroids.

Right now, I'm dreading having to wait until next year for Part Two, but I know that real life will insist on being dealt with and that by the time it hits the theaters, I will have settled down and realized that this wasn't an Important Film by any means and I'll think, "Do I really want to see a Tom Cruise movie?"


1 comment:

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts