Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Books I Read in 2023, Vol. XIV

 

ANY OTHER NAME: A Longmire Mystery
Craig Johnson

Walt Longmire is sinking into a high-plains winter discontent when his former boss, Lucian Conally, asks him to take on a mercy case in an adjacent county. Detective Gerald Holman is dead and Lucian wants to know what drove his old friend to take his own life. With the clock ticking on the birth of his first grandchild, Walt learns that the by-the-book detective might have suppressed evidence concerning three missing women. Digging deeper, Walt uncovers an incriminating secret so dark that it threatens to claim other lives even before the sheriff can serve justice—Wyoming style.

Johnson seems to have an affinity for putting his fictional sheriff into jeopardy during blizzard winds and bitter cold. Maybe that's why I tend to heat up a nice cup of Dr Pepper before sitting down with him. This being the umpteenth Longmire novel I've read, it's like hearing a story from an old friend...and the name of the place is I like it like that.

First line: Joseph Conrad said that if you wanted to know the age of the earth, look upon the sea in a storm; if you want to know the age of the Powder River country, just be on the wrong side of a coal train.

Page 56 / Line 5: I cut off from the parking lot and waded my way toward the trailers and was about to reach the first one when a voice called out from the back of the brown steel building.

Last line: I slipped my hat over my face and smiled, looking forward to seeing all my old friends  -  and a new one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts