Thursday, December 14, 2023

Books I Read in 2023, Vol. XVI

 

WHY I AM STILL SUPRISED BY THE VOICE OF GOD: How God Speaks Today Through Prophecies, Dreams, and Visions
Jack Deere

At age 27, Jack Deere became a seminary professor at Dallas Theological Seminary where he taught his students to avoid the trap of believing that God still spoke outside the pages of the Bible. But after a trusted friend shared that he believed God still spoke today, Jack began a thorough study of every instance of God speaking supernaturally to someone in the Bible. He became convinced that we should expect God to speak outside the Scriptures, but he didn't have a clue how to hear his voice. This is the story of how Jack Deere learned to hear the voice of God and, in doing so, became a friend of Jesus.

Curtis loaned me this book, and I'm glad. It is full of first- and second-hand testimonies of those who have learned to hear Yahweh speaking to them through dreams, impressions, sensations, visions, and sometimes, an audible voice. I can't say I've clearly experienced any of that...but maybe it's simply because I haven't recognized it for what it was when it happened. I admit to being skeptical of those who make a "show" out of "hearing from the Lord" in the style of televangelists and/or mentalists, and some of the examples given in this book come close to that...but Deere specifically speaks against the traps those folks seem to have fallen into, so that's helpful.

This is not a thorough spelling out of all the Scriptural reasoning for believing that God speaks outside the pages of the Bible today, but there is some helpful information in the appendices. I'm willing to have the Spirit increase my personal experience in this area.

First line: Jesus knew the Bible stone-cold.

Page 56, Line 5: He advised her to prize his company and to keep a linen burial sheet close by, for when she least expected it, her husband would come to a bloody end.

Last line: He gives us a friendship in which he makes himself and us happy when we hear the voice of Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts