Monday, January 22, 2024

Books I Read in 2024, Vol. III

 

Book Cover
THE PEOPLE VS. ALEX CROSS
James Patterson

Detective Cross has always upheld the law, but now he's on the wrong side of it. He knows he acted in self-defense, but will a jury see him as another policeman gone over the edge?

As Cross prepares to prove his innocence, his former partner brings him a gruesome video tied to the mysterious disappearances of several young girls. Despite Cross's suspension from the department, he can't refuse the case. The illicit investigation leads them to the darkest corners of the Internet, where murder is just another form of entertainment.

This is another of those 4-for-a-dollar books I bought from the library. I first met the Alex Cross character in two movies starring Morgan Freeman, Along Came a Spider, and Kiss the Girls. Because I liked those movies (hello...Morgan Freeman...), I was eager to give this novel a shot. And now I want to back up and start reading the other Alex Cross books. All two dozen of them! (One complaint: I could only guess how to pronounce some of the names in this book: Gary Soneji, Paul Fiore, even Alex's young son, Ali. [ah-LEE? Alley? AWE-lee?])

First Line: From inside a rambling white Colonial home on a shaded street that smelled of blooming wildflowers, a woman called in a pleasant Southern accent: "TW-Two?"

Page 56, Line 5: "I should be talking to Sampson or your wife."

Last line: I smiled and gazed beyond the breaking waves to the sea and the far horizon, feeling that these kinds of moments, these small triumphs, were more than enough to keep me working for the good in the world despite all the dark webs I'd been thrust into over the course of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts