Friday, March 29, 2024

Books I Read in 2024, Vol. VIII

 

Dry Bones Book Cover
DRY BONES: A Longmire Mystery
Craig Johnson

When Jen, the largest, most complete Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton ever found, surfaces in Absaroka County, Wyoming, it appears to be a windfall for the High Plains Dinosaur Museum  -  until Danny Lone Elk, the Cheyenne rancher on whose property the remains were discovered, turns up dead. With millions of dollars at stake, a number of groups step forward to claim her, including Danny's family, the tribe, and the federal government. As Wyoming's acting deputy attorney and a cadre of FBI officers descend on the town, turning what should be a local matter into a political charade, Sheriff Walt Longmire is determined to find out who would benefit from Danny's death.

Continuing on my quest to read every Longmire mystery I can borrow from the Dakota County Library, I found another entertaining read. There's more dialog featuring Undersheriff Victoria Moretti, so there are more incidences of PG-13 and R-rated language, but if that doesn't bother you (and it comes nowhere NEAR Scorsese film level), I will recommend this tale with both my thumbs held at chest level. It's got action, meaningful character development, and humor.

First Line: She was close to thirty years old when she was killed.

Page 56 / Line 5: I watched McGroder and his staff examine and document all the parts of Jen's massive head, roughly the size of a sofa, on an assortment of clipboards and forms under the close observation of Trost.

A Good Line from Somewhere in the Middle: A lot of people might underestimate my undersheriff because she was wounded; a lot of people are morons.

Last Line: Save Jen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts