Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Increasing My Cross-Cultural Consciousness: Books I Read in 2024, Vol. XV

 

LETTERS TO MY WHITE MALE FRIENDS
Dax-Devlon Ross

Millions of people are finally realizing that simply not being racist isn't enough to end racism. Now we are not only seeking deeper insight into how racism has harmed Black people but also how it has harmed us all. [This book] promises to help everyone who says they are committed to change develop the capacity to see, feel, and sustain that commitment so we can help secure racial justice for all.

I read this book because I own it. I own this book because it was available at the library for just a quarter. I bought it from the library because I am on a quest to increase my knowledge of and sensitivity to what it's like to be a non-white person in suburban America. I am on that quest because of prompting from our bridge-building deacon at Valley Christian Church. We have a bridge-building deacon because one man was so moved by the murder of George Floyd and its aftermath that he was compelled to help our congregation be part of the solution instead of perpetuating the problem.

While there were a few times when I got bogged down in buzzwords and generalizations, this book was fairly easy to read and absolutely, positively enlightening. (Not to mention challenging as I ask the necessary question: "Now what shall I DO about it?")

First Line: I will never forget one night in Cape Town when I was out at a dance club with a group of fellow law students.

Page 56 / Line 5: Given this context, when you look back on your education, how many Black students can you count in your classes?

A Good Line from Somewhere in the Middle: We have to see this endeavor as essential, not mandatory.

Last Line:  "I don't want to get ahead of myself," I said to Alana, "but I think these guys may be stepping up."


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts