Friday, July 26, 2024

A Manly Tome Indeed: Books I Read in 2024, Vol. XVIII

 

THE POWER OF A PROMISE KEPT: Life Stories
Gregg Lewis

[In the 1990s,] in jam-packed stadiums across the country, men [were] accepting a powerful challenge  -  choosing to live by the Seven Promises of a Promise Keeper. But [did] it make a difference? [Did it change] the lives of their wives and their friends? In these pages are true stories of a few individuals  -  men just like you  -  who put their promise keeping into action every day and have found hope, encouragement, and healing. Their struggles are the same as yours. And their victories can be yours as well.

This book is almost 30 years old (hence the bracketed changes of tense in the publisher's description above), but the copy I purchased from the library ($0.25) looked like it had never been opened (which is probably why they sold it off instead of having it take up shelf space). However, I attended a couple stadium-packing Promise Keepers events back in the day, so my interest was piqued enough to invest a quarter. The stories in this book give evidence to the powerful impact Promise Keepers had...and make me wish they were still filling sports stadiums across the nation like they did back in the 90s. The good news is, I just checked and they are returning to arena-based programming this summer! (Click Here for Info)

First Line: This may be the most unusual book you've ever read.

Page 56 / Line 5: He was in and out of the hospital for months.

A Good Line from Somewhere in the Middle: Don't you see that when men lift you up, they can also let you down?

Last Line: When I decided to let Him fight my battle for me, He went a perfect three for three.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts