James Martin, SJ
New York Times bestselling author James Martin, SJ, offers a vivid and compelling portrait of Jesus based on the Messiah's dramatic last words on the cross. Father Martin shows how deeply Jesus understands our struggles and why we can turn to him completely - in mind, heart, and soul. Based on Martin's homilies at New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral on Good Friday 2015, each meditation reflects on one of the seven traditional sayings with the warmth, wisdom, and grace that infuse all of his writings.
For quite a while, I have had in the back of my mind the idea that it would make sense to preach a series of sermons about the seven statements of Jesus from the cross during the seven Sundays of Lent. Then, I saw this book on the library's shelves and inwardly exclaimed, "Bingo!"
Martin takes each phrase (e.g., "I am thirsty," or "It is finished") and uses it to show that Jesus understands us deeply. It's a good framework and serves its stated purpose well. I don't necessarily come down on the same plot of ground as the author in terms of "How much did Jesus know about what was going to happen on Easter?", but I still appreciated the discussion.
I still think the sermon series is a good idea, and I think this book could serve as an excellent resource for it.
Fun Fact...I didn't know until a third of the way through this wasn't the first time I'd read a book by James Martin, SJ.
First Line: When I mentioned to a friend that I had been invited to preach the "Seven Last Words" at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City, her reaction was not surprising: "The seven last what?"
Page 56 / Line 5: Then Jesus gave a loud cry and breathed his last.
A Good Line from Somewhere in the Middle: So when you struggle in the spiritual life, when you wonder where God is, when you pray in doubt and darkness, and even when you are close to despair, you are praying to someone who is fully human and fully divine, to someone who understands you fully.
Last Line: He becomes someone with whom we can enter more deeply into relationship. Which is what Jesus thirsts for.

No comments:
Post a Comment