Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Books I Read in 2021, Vol. XV

 

JUNKYARD DOGS: A Walt Longmire Mystery
Craig Johnson

"Missing body parts and dead developers are only the beginning when Wyoming sheriff Walt Longmire finds himself in the throes of a modern-day range war. It's a volatile new economy in Durant when the owners of a multi-million dollar development of ranchettes want to get rid of the adjacent Stewart junkyard. The notorious Stewart clan is an adventure unto itself and, when conflicts erupt, Walt, Dog, Henry Standing Bear, and deputies Santiago and Victoria find themselves in a small town that feels like a high plains pressure cooker."

This is the sixth Longmire novel I've read. I started reading them because Beloved and I liked the TV series based on the characters, but now, I'm fairly hooked on Johnson's easy-going, down-to-earth style of storytelling. ("As helpful as an accordion on an elk hunt") Yes, there are enough F-bombs to warrant an R rating, but nowhere near as many as a Scorsese movie, and all in line with the character of the characters.

First line: I tried to get a straight answer from his grandson and granddaughter-in-law as to why their grandfather had been tied with a hundred feet of nylon rope to the rear bumper of the 1968 Oldsmobile Toronado.

Page 56/Sentence 5: What are you shooting, Geo?

Last line: I glanced at the Cheyenne Nation with my one eye, and things didn't look half-bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts