Friday, January 21, 2022

Books I Read in 2022, Vol. I

 

GUERRILLAS OF GRACE: Prayers for the Battle
Ted Loder

An embarrassingly beautiful collection of prayers that compels readers to level with themselves about some of the most intimately delicate areas of human life. To read Loder's writing is to look with penetrating honesty into one's own personality, relationship with God, and need for neighbor. (Dr. William Muehl, Professor Emeritus, Yale University Divinity School)
       [This book] puts into words so much of what [we've] longed to say. It is Loder's creativity, blended with penetrating honesty and unexpected humor, that lifts these prayers out of the ordinary, making them experiences to be savored and shared. (St. Anthony Messenger)

Somewhere in early-to-mid-2020, I started hosting an online time of prayer on Valley Christian Church's private Facebook page. It is structured by using the acronym CHAT, which stands for Confess, Honor, Ask, and Thank. I've been using a selection from this book to either confess to God or honor Him almost every week. These prayers are everything they are said to be in the above quotes...at the very least. I am so grateful to Brad Dewing for gifting me this book. Methinks I may need to track down the other two books of prayer by Loder as well.

First lineWhy would anyone call a book of prayers Guerrillas of Grace?

Page 56/Line 5: Release me from the dangerous illusions of independence when the human family summons me to the realities and promises of interdependence among races, sexes, nations.

Last line: In the darkness I see the light and find in it comfort, confidence, cause for celebration, for the darkness cannot overcome it; and I rejoice to nourish it in myself, in other people, in the world for the sake of him in whom it was born and shines forever, even Jesus the Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts