Monday, January 2, 2023

Books I Read in 2023, Vol. I

 

A SERPENT'S TOOTH: A Walt Longmire Mystery
Craig Johnson

It's homecoming for the Durant Dogies when Cord Lynear, a Mormon "lost boy" forced off his compound for supposedly rebellious behavior, shows up in Absaroka County. Without much guidance, divine or otherwise, Sheriff Walt Longmire, his second-in-command, Victoria Moretti, and his good friend Henry Standing Bear search for the boy's mother and find themselves in a high plains scavenger hunt that ends at the barbed wire doorstep of an interstate polygamy group. Run by the 400-pound Roy Lynear  -  Cord's father  -  the group is frighteningly well-armed and very good at keeping secrets. As Walt, Henry, and Vic pursue and butt heads with the Lynears, they hear whispers of Big Oil and the CIA and find they might be dealing with more than they bargained for.

Another satisfying read. I was glad that THIS one didn't take place during the winter and that it didn't include all the strange visions and is-this-guy-dead-or-not mysticism of a couple other books in the series. Also, it was more of a nuts-and-bolts police procedural with a healthy dose of humorous interaction among the main characters. 3.5 out of 4 stars.

First line: I stared at the black-and-orange corsage on Barbara Thomas's lapel so that I wouldn't have to look at anything else.

Page 56/Line 5: "Excuse me, Sheriff."

Last line: I breathed in the scent of her along with that of the black-and-orange corsage that I carefully placed on the pillow beside her head.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts