Saturday, September 21, 2024

Oh, Rob!: Books I Read in 2024, Vol. XXI

 

THE OFFICIAL DICK VAN DYKE SHOW BOOK: The Definitive History of Television's Most Enduring Comedy
Vince Waldron

What an unexpected pleasure to read a book on a subject about which I thought I knew everything, only to find out that I didn't. A very serious contribution to understanding what really were the best years of my theatrical life. I'd say it was a wonderfully scholarly work  -  but I won't, because I don't want to scare people away from a book that's as much fun to read as this is.     - Carl Reiner (Produce/Creator of The Dick Van Dyke Show)

I bought this book for our recent trip to Wyoming. I figured it would be a good choice for something I could pick up and put down with no need to keep a plot line straight or follow a logical exploration of a subject. I was half right. It was easy to pick up...but kind of hard to put down. Because of my level of admiration for the show, I was easily caught up in all the behind-the-scenes tales and "making of" legends. 

First Line: By six o'clock on the evening of January 20, 1961, the line of people waiting outside Hollywood's Desilu Cahuenga studios was already more than two hundred strong.

Page 56 / Line 5: Without a pause, Deacon uttered, "Yeecchh!"

A Good Line from Somewhere in the Middle: It smelled like some silent movie star had died in there.

Last Line: "It was," he answered, "like going to a lovely party that you never wanted to end."


No comments:

Post a Comment

The First Post

  I woke up with the idea for this new blog as a way to take the place of what I used to post in a Facebook "Note". FB doesn't...

Top 3 Posts